T.O. Fuller State Park was the first state park east of the Mississippi River open to African Americans and only the second in the nation. The park was later changed from Shelby Bluffs to T.O. Fuller State Park in 1942 in honor of Dr. Thomas O. Fuller who spent his life empowering and educating African Americans.
The park is located in Shelby County within the southern limits of the city of Memphis. The park encompasses a total of 1,138 acres with a diversity of wildlife. With its abundance of local flora and fauna from the Mississippi flood plains to its high and overshadowing bluff ridges makes this area an ideal place for the birdwatcher or outdoor extremist.
A Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp established in the area initiated Construction of the park facilities in 1938. During excavation for a proposed swimming pool in 1940, CCC workers unearthed evidence of a prehistoric village, opening the door to a lost and forgotten civilization. The site has since been developed as Chucalissa Indian Village and includes a village, preserved archaeological excavations, and a modern museum